PAT’S PASTURED 2013 APPRENTICES
2 Positions Open
100 acres of pasture and woodlots spread over 4 farm sites in southern Rhode Island. All land is managed in an intensive rotational management system with multiple species of livestock. The main farm is located in East Greenwich, Rhode Island. All meat and eggs are sold through farmers markets (5 summer, 3 winter in 2013), Meat/Poultry CSA, restaurant sales, buying clubs and on-farm sales.
• Pasture-raised heritage breed pigs– Berkshire, Tamworth & Large Black pigs
• Broilers raised on pasture and processed on-farm in a RI Health Department processing unit
• Pasture-raised turkeys
• Grass-fed beef steers
• Grass-fed Jersey dairy cows
• Grass-fed Katahdin hair sheep
• Free-range laying hens
• Free-Range ducks
• Daily watering, feeding and pasture rotation of broiler chickens, laying hens, ducks, turkeys, pigs, cattle and sheep
• Management of chick brooder
• Equipment maintenance
• Product delivery
• Poultry processing
• Assist with sales of products
• Assisting with products processing & packaging
• Assist with maintenance of on farm vegetable garden
• Enjoys working with animals
• Willingness to work long hours in all weather conditions
• Willingness to learn
• Valid drivers license
• Ability to lift 50 lbs on regular basis required
There are two apprenticeship positions currently available for the 2013 season. The position runs through November. Apprentices receive housing on-farm, $150 a week living stipend, access to vegetable and monthly educational opportunities at local farms, restaurant and with various food producers.
Anyone interested must come to the farm for a one day checkout. Attitude is everything. No previous experience required
To apply for a position, please send a letter answering the questions below by mail to: Pat’s Pastured – 830 South Rd. East Greenwich, RI 02818, or email at email@example.com. Any questions please contact us by email.
Why are you interested in working at Pat’s Pastured this season?
How does this apprenticeship fit into your personal & professional goals now and in the future?
What skills would you like to learn from this experience?
How would a past employer describe you?
How would a co-worker describe you?
What skills/experience do you bring to this position that you think would be beneficial?
Anything else you want to tell us?